Bon a tirer is a french term in printmaking for 'good to edition'. I've worked this plate and tested various inks and papers and today I have my bon a tirer. The title may be "erosione n.3", as it is part of a series based on eroded rock forms.

Here are two plates with about 8 different stages of
acquaforte (line etching) on
rame (copper). First thing tomorrow I'll print the proofs to see what they're looking like.
5 comments:
Shannon - Wow! I can imagine the work that went into that print. Its so interesting to look at. I want to see the real thing in person! No wonder we haven't heard from you in a while. I was beginning to wonder. Ciao, Marianna
Thanks Marianna I've been so busy. Vincenzo gave me so much encouragement in the process of working this plate when he looked at one of my proofs and said 'It's like you transformed the metal into stone' (in Italian). It's something like 27x38 cm on zinc. First technique was ceramolle/soft ground, then maniera allo zucchero/sugar lift with acquatint. Then pastello on acquatint, spit bite for shadows and I scraped, sanded and burnished the heck out of it for highlights. I proofed it with black, cool colors and warm colors and settled on this mix of Charbonell burnt umber, burnt sienna and Di Velo nero caldo mixed with linseed oil and a lot of talc. After I wipe this first ink mixture I reink it with a mixture of the same colors, no talc, more oil, then I wipe it again. Vincenzo helped me etch and break off the beveled borders as I decided they didn't serve this particular work. The paper is Magnani Avoria. Whew I didn't realize how much work I put into this until I wrote this overview ;)
I have one word to describe it: gorjista!
Kayvan
Brava! Che bello. Che senso di superficie profonde...
So now I know why you haven't visited me in Rome this Fall! You've kept incredibly busy. ciao, Anna
Thanks for the comments! It's so encouraging! I have 2 weeks to finish printing my prove d'artista (proofs) for all the plates I'm currently working on, then I have exams for two days, then I have a week and a half to finish my libro d'artista (artist's book) and a final edition of 25 prints for the school's portfolios. Anna, when I return to Italia I fly into Roma on 14 gennaio, will you be there?
Post a Comment