21.3.08

Il primo giorno della primavera (First day of spring)

It's the first day of spring... but looking out the window you'd never know it!

I haven't been attentive to my blog. Sometimes actual life gets in the way of documenting about life. I have some things coming up that I'm excited about so hopefully I'll ramp up again.

I've been working daily at the studio since early February, overwhelming myself a bit as I'm concurrently working on 9 unique works. I'm in etching/plate mode and I'll need to start printing soon to get some editions completed before my flight to the states later in April. I'm loving being in the studio everyday, but I'm tired. The work is labor intensive and after doing this daily for over a year I'd like to give my mind and my body a short break.

Additionally he economic situation of the world is a bit, er... let's just say difficult for US folks living abroad. I've been searching for work opportunities that pay in euro but getting much more response regarding jobs that pay in dollars.

Through all this, each day I fall more in love with Florence and my friends and I'm doing exactly what I want to be doing. Tomorrow we have a fun aperitivo (evening cocktails) planned with friends. Then on Sunday I'm headed to Rome for Easter and some fun!

Buona Pasqua a tutti! (Happy Easter to all of you!)

The simple water drain in the center of our courtyard is visually quite lovely:


Filing the borders of a plate:


This one's for Colin. There was a seminario di xilografia (woodcut workshop) at the school and the professors brought out some examples of the woodcuts that prior students had done. This is Colin's self portrait. You can leave the stamperia (printshop), but your presence stays long after:

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I was wondering if you'd get to Rome for Easter....how exciting!! Did you go last year too? Say "hi" to the Pope for me and enjoy spring and Easter in Italy. BTW, that is a beautiful picture of the drain. You definitely have a gift for finding the beauty in the ordinary, and for taking the perfect picture to show the rest of us its beauty. Ciao for now! xoxox

Unknown said...

Thanks Lisa. I've never been to Rome for Easter. The weather here and there is cold and rainy, so it won't be lovely springtime beauty, but I'm still looking forward to it!

Anonymous said...

I know just what you mean about the beauty of simple, commonplace things. (Remember "Pavimento"?) For me, just sitting in that courtyard is inspiring - looking at the litho stones, the memories that seem to ooze from the stone and stucco - what a fantastic place to be. Buona fortuna with the project that you interviewed for. I miss you and just realized that it was a year ago that I was in Firenze. Ciao, Marianna

Unknown said...

Marianna, I miss you because it just seems like you should be here during Easter week! That's my memory of Easter in Florence. But I'm headed to Rome in the rain to switch things up.

They put the Etruscan urn in the courtyard for la Guaita's ashes. She wanted to be placed at the school and bought the urn for that specific purpose. It's comforting to know she's still there. When Vincenzo walks by he pats the top of the urn.

Anonymous said...

Vincenzo rescued several things that I left there. I was upset at first, jokingly called him a thief when I visited. It was a difficult image to make. I would bring it home every night and work on it in the courtyard listening to Italian traffic and Italian language. I want to show you want I’m working on now. Colin R Clark

Unknown said...

Colin, at the studio I've also been using your brush for chine colle ;) and I'd love to see your new works!